Skip to main content

Dissimilar Mindset Attracts Enmity

 



Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga


Why do people with differing mindsets often find themselves at odds? In a world where diversity is celebrated, why do we struggle to accept and appreciate differences in perspective?


The Building Blocks of Mindset

Our mindset is shaped by various factors, including:


1. Leadership: The guiding forces that influence our thoughts and behaviors.

2. Scarcity of Resources: The struggle for limited resources that fuels competition.

3. Successes: The achievements that reinforce our convictions.

4. Religion: The spiritual frameworks that shape our worldview.

5. Neighbors: The people around us who influence our perspectives.

6. Education: The knowledge that empowers us to form opinions.


When Enmity Ensues

What happens when we encounter someone with a dissimilar mindset? Often, we feel threatened, and our initial reaction is to defend our own mindset. This can lead to conflict, as we try to prove the superiority of our own perspective, the fear of being overshadowed.


Embracing Diversity of Mindset

Rather than trying to change or criticize others, we should strive to understand and appreciate their unique mindset. By embracing diversity of thought and perspective, we can:


- Foster greater empathy and compassion

- Encourage innovative thinking and problem-solving

- Build stronger, more meaningful relationships


Conclusion

Holding someone back because of their differing mindset is a destructive force that stifles growth, innovation, and progress. When we discourage others, we deny ourselves and society the benefits of diverse perspectives and ideas. It’s time to release each other from the shackles of judgment and meet on common ground, sharing and exchanging value, ideas, and experiences that uplift us all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience: The Key to Navigating Life's Challenges

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga (FFF)   Life's no paradise – resources are scarce, competition's tough, and adversity's constant. But it's how we respond that defines us. Resilience is the ability to bounce back, to sweep away trouble and hold firm to gains. I once had a business in my 20s that did well in the short run, but when I sought support from a wealthy relative to expand, I was labelled lazy. I fought back, true to their word I became unpopular. Later, I realised people look at what you've achieved, not what you promise. I refocused, sought trusted support, and bounced back – refuting allegations of laziness. Each challenge's a battle; each win builds confidence. You don't start winning big battles, but small wins accumulate. Employers seek elasticity; vision falls on resilient people. As I was ridiculed and falsely accused, I gained favour with people in good time. Adversity may conquer, but bouncing back is resilience. Life's short. Elastic...

The Power of Family Influence

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga The African proverb "charity begins at home" takes on a deeper meaning when we consider the profound impact of family on our lives. As I reflect on my own experiences, I realize that the values, beliefs, and behaviors we learn from our families shape us in ways that are both visible and invisible.   As a former restaurant manager, I noticed that people's behavior in public spaces was often a reflection of their home environment. Some patrons would leave the toilet spotless, while others would leave it in disarray. The effort we put into maintaining hygiene in our kitchens is often mirrored in our public behavior. This observation led me to realize that our family's influence extends far beyond our childhood years.   Our parents' behavior, expectations, and values are imprinted on us from a young age. We mimic their actions, adopt their beliefs, and internalize their criticisms. As we grow older, we begin to make choic...

It’s Not The End Of The World

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga    This story is based on a true story and I have edited names so that someone is inspired out there. Resilience makes great changes in people's lives, don't commit Suicide     Fadzai sat on the edge of her bed, feeling empty and defeated. She had never felt so alone in her life. Thomas’s brief and dismissive response on the phone had left her reeling. She thought about her daughter, Rungano, who was now misbehaving at school, and how she was struggling to cope with the absence of her father.   Thomas had gone to South Africa for greener pastures leaving Fadzai with their only daughter behind. The plan was to relocate to South Africa as soon as Thomas had settled. In the first six months Thomas supported Fadzai with groceries, school fees and rentals. A shift began after Thomas had started seeing other women in South Africa. Thomas started sending money enough for rentals, school fees and a few groceries. The...