Skip to main content

Who’s in Command: Your Present or Ex?

 



Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga


Being controlled by past emotions is a sign of defeat. Resentment is a clear indication that you’re under the influence of your adversary. Have you ever found yourself stuck between two worlds: the present and the past?


The Power of Emotional Residue

Past relationships can leave behind emotional residue, making it challenging to navigate new relationships. This residue can trigger emotions, even when you’re not offended. It can manifest as:


- Lingering feelings of love or anger: Persistent emotions and attachment towards an ex-partner, making it challenging to move on.

- Unresolved emotions or unfinished business: Unaddressed issues can haunt you, making you defensive and eager to exonerate yourself.

- Comparisons between past and present partners: Comparing your ex-lover to your current partner is a sign of denial.

- Fear of falling into the same circumstances: Past failures can make you suspicious and afraid of repeating the same mistakes.


Breaking Free from the Past

To break free from the past and focus on the present:

- Acknowledge your mistakes: Recognize where you went wrong to correct your weaknesses.

- Practice self-reflection and self-care: Identify areas for improvement and prioritize your emotional well-being.

- Set boundaries: Protect yourself from the advances of your past and focus on your new relationship.


Embracing the Present

Your present partner deserves your emotional presence:

- Build a connection: Focus on shared values and experiences.

- Communicate openly: Share your thoughts and feelings honestly.

- Cultivate a positive environment: Support each other’s growth and well-being.


Who Should Influence Your Emotions?

Ultimately:

- Your present partner should have influence over your emotions.

- Your ex should not dictate your emotional state.


By breaking free from the past and embracing the present, you can:

- Build a stronger, more authentic connection with your partner.

- Cultivate emotional resilience and well-being.

- Create a brighter, more hopeful future for yourself and your relationship.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience: The Key to Navigating Life's Challenges

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga (FFF)   Life's no paradise – resources are scarce, competition's tough, and adversity's constant. But it's how we respond that defines us. Resilience is the ability to bounce back, to sweep away trouble and hold firm to gains. I once had a business in my 20s that did well in the short run, but when I sought support from a wealthy relative to expand, I was labelled lazy. I fought back, true to their word I became unpopular. Later, I realised people look at what you've achieved, not what you promise. I refocused, sought trusted support, and bounced back – refuting allegations of laziness. Each challenge's a battle; each win builds confidence. You don't start winning big battles, but small wins accumulate. Employers seek elasticity; vision falls on resilient people. As I was ridiculed and falsely accused, I gained favour with people in good time. Adversity may conquer, but bouncing back is resilience. Life's short. Elastic...

The Power of Family Influence

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga The African proverb "charity begins at home" takes on a deeper meaning when we consider the profound impact of family on our lives. As I reflect on my own experiences, I realize that the values, beliefs, and behaviors we learn from our families shape us in ways that are both visible and invisible.   As a former restaurant manager, I noticed that people's behavior in public spaces was often a reflection of their home environment. Some patrons would leave the toilet spotless, while others would leave it in disarray. The effort we put into maintaining hygiene in our kitchens is often mirrored in our public behavior. This observation led me to realize that our family's influence extends far beyond our childhood years.   Our parents' behavior, expectations, and values are imprinted on us from a young age. We mimic their actions, adopt their beliefs, and internalize their criticisms. As we grow older, we begin to make choic...

It’s Not The End Of The World

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga    This story is based on a true story and I have edited names so that someone is inspired out there. Resilience makes great changes in people's lives, don't commit Suicide     Fadzai sat on the edge of her bed, feeling empty and defeated. She had never felt so alone in her life. Thomas’s brief and dismissive response on the phone had left her reeling. She thought about her daughter, Rungano, who was now misbehaving at school, and how she was struggling to cope with the absence of her father.   Thomas had gone to South Africa for greener pastures leaving Fadzai with their only daughter behind. The plan was to relocate to South Africa as soon as Thomas had settled. In the first six months Thomas supported Fadzai with groceries, school fees and rentals. A shift began after Thomas had started seeing other women in South Africa. Thomas started sending money enough for rentals, school fees and a few groceries. The...