Skip to main content

Love, Sex, and Marriage: Three Sides of the Same Coin

 




Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga


In today’s society, the lines between love, sex, and marriage are often blurred. Sex has been commercialized and portrayed as a pleasurable act, while love is taught through upbringing and personal experiences. Marriage, on the other hand, has become a duty where two people often find themselves tied together due to sex and social prestige.


Love vs. Sex


Sex is a natural instinct, while love is a cultivated emotion that allows us to accommodate someone who is not ourselves. As I often say in my sessions with young adults, every creature that reproduces enjoys sex. However, it’s love that sets us apart. We can plan and work on love, tolerating and forgiving someone who is different from us. Love disciplines us on who to have sex with, and mutual desire is a design of our own making.


While sex and love are interconnected, they serve different purposes. Sex is driven by inner feelings that aim to satisfy reproduction, whereas love is a choice that requires effort and commitment. Anyone can have sex with someone they’re not in love with and still produce a child.


Marriage


Neither sex nor love alone constitutes marriage. In many African cultures, marrying a foreigner is discouraged, highlighting the importance of shared values and traditions in marriage. Marriage involves living together, sharing finances, time, and problem-solving strategies.


In a marriage, couples face problems together, and their ability to work through challenges determines the success of their relationship. Production, or the ability to build a life together, is a crucial aspect of marriage that many people overlook.


Conclusion


In conclusion, love, sex, and marriage are distinct sentiments that require different approaches. While sex is a natural instinct, love is a cultivated emotion that disciplines us on who to share our intimacy with. Marriage, on the other hand, involves a deep commitment to shared values, problem-solving, and building a life together. By recognizing these distinctions, we can foster healthier relationships and build stronger marriages.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience: The Key to Navigating Life's Challenges

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga (FFF)   Life's no paradise – resources are scarce, competition's tough, and adversity's constant. But it's how we respond that defines us. Resilience is the ability to bounce back, to sweep away trouble and hold firm to gains. I once had a business in my 20s that did well in the short run, but when I sought support from a wealthy relative to expand, I was labelled lazy. I fought back, true to their word I became unpopular. Later, I realised people look at what you've achieved, not what you promise. I refocused, sought trusted support, and bounced back – refuting allegations of laziness. Each challenge's a battle; each win builds confidence. You don't start winning big battles, but small wins accumulate. Employers seek elasticity; vision falls on resilient people. As I was ridiculed and falsely accused, I gained favour with people in good time. Adversity may conquer, but bouncing back is resilience. Life's short. Elastic...

The Power of Family Influence

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga The African proverb "charity begins at home" takes on a deeper meaning when we consider the profound impact of family on our lives. As I reflect on my own experiences, I realize that the values, beliefs, and behaviors we learn from our families shape us in ways that are both visible and invisible.   As a former restaurant manager, I noticed that people's behavior in public spaces was often a reflection of their home environment. Some patrons would leave the toilet spotless, while others would leave it in disarray. The effort we put into maintaining hygiene in our kitchens is often mirrored in our public behavior. This observation led me to realize that our family's influence extends far beyond our childhood years.   Our parents' behavior, expectations, and values are imprinted on us from a young age. We mimic their actions, adopt their beliefs, and internalize their criticisms. As we grow older, we begin to make choic...

It’s Not The End Of The World

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga    This story is based on a true story and I have edited names so that someone is inspired out there. Resilience makes great changes in people's lives, don't commit Suicide     Fadzai sat on the edge of her bed, feeling empty and defeated. She had never felt so alone in her life. Thomas’s brief and dismissive response on the phone had left her reeling. She thought about her daughter, Rungano, who was now misbehaving at school, and how she was struggling to cope with the absence of her father.   Thomas had gone to South Africa for greener pastures leaving Fadzai with their only daughter behind. The plan was to relocate to South Africa as soon as Thomas had settled. In the first six months Thomas supported Fadzai with groceries, school fees and rentals. A shift began after Thomas had started seeing other women in South Africa. Thomas started sending money enough for rentals, school fees and a few groceries. The...