Skip to main content

Willpower: Determination To Do Well




 Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga


The first prerequisite for success is being born. Life’s numerous challenges can foster laziness, making tasks seem impossible, especially when they have never been solved before. However, human history shows that our predecessors’ willpower has been crucial to our survival.


Consider the earliest humans, who had to distinguish between edible and poisonous plants. This feat demonstrates the power of willpower in overcoming adversity.


Definition and Importance of Willpower

Willpower is the ability, capacity, and competence to complete tasks, overcome obstacles, and achieve goals. It involves prioritizing tasks that bring benefits, despite surrounding challenges and complexities.


Why We Need Willpower


Myth and Complexity:

Life is full of mysteries and complexities. Willpower helps navigate these challenges, find solutions, and counter the intimidating solidness of complexity. 


Force of Nature: 

Willpower enables us to adapt to and overcome the power of gravity, wildlife, climate change, natural disasters, plagues, and diseases. It’s painful but rewarding to brave these forces.


Adversaries: 

Willpower helps us stay focused, motivated, and resilient against enemies, critics, and naysayers. It’s essential to pierce through opposition, as antagonism is always present.


Laziness and Weaknesses: 

Willpower overcomes internal obstacles like laziness, weaknesses, and failure to read situations. Inertia should encourage willpower, as doing nothing leads to stagnation.


Self-Doubt and Fear: 

Willpower confronts and overcomes self-doubt and fear, building confidence and faith. The desire to achieve should dispel fear.


Points to Ponder

- Historical Successes: Strong willpower has led to remarkable achievements throughout history, from scientific breakthroughs to social justice movements.

- Personal Growth: Willpower drives personal growth by developing new skills, building positive habits, and overcoming negative ones.

- Resilience: Willpower fosters resilience, enabling us to bounce back from setbacks, failures, and disappointments, and continue moving forward.


By cultivating willpower, we can overcome life’s challenges, achieve our goals, and reach our full potential.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience: The Key to Navigating Life's Challenges

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga (FFF)   Life's no paradise – resources are scarce, competition's tough, and adversity's constant. But it's how we respond that defines us. Resilience is the ability to bounce back, to sweep away trouble and hold firm to gains. I once had a business in my 20s that did well in the short run, but when I sought support from a wealthy relative to expand, I was labelled lazy. I fought back, true to their word I became unpopular. Later, I realised people look at what you've achieved, not what you promise. I refocused, sought trusted support, and bounced back – refuting allegations of laziness. Each challenge's a battle; each win builds confidence. You don't start winning big battles, but small wins accumulate. Employers seek elasticity; vision falls on resilient people. As I was ridiculed and falsely accused, I gained favour with people in good time. Adversity may conquer, but bouncing back is resilience. Life's short. Elastic...

The Power of Family Influence

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga The African proverb "charity begins at home" takes on a deeper meaning when we consider the profound impact of family on our lives. As I reflect on my own experiences, I realize that the values, beliefs, and behaviors we learn from our families shape us in ways that are both visible and invisible.   As a former restaurant manager, I noticed that people's behavior in public spaces was often a reflection of their home environment. Some patrons would leave the toilet spotless, while others would leave it in disarray. The effort we put into maintaining hygiene in our kitchens is often mirrored in our public behavior. This observation led me to realize that our family's influence extends far beyond our childhood years.   Our parents' behavior, expectations, and values are imprinted on us from a young age. We mimic their actions, adopt their beliefs, and internalize their criticisms. As we grow older, we begin to make choic...

It’s Not The End Of The World

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga    This story is based on a true story and I have edited names so that someone is inspired out there. Resilience makes great changes in people's lives, don't commit Suicide     Fadzai sat on the edge of her bed, feeling empty and defeated. She had never felt so alone in her life. Thomas’s brief and dismissive response on the phone had left her reeling. She thought about her daughter, Rungano, who was now misbehaving at school, and how she was struggling to cope with the absence of her father.   Thomas had gone to South Africa for greener pastures leaving Fadzai with their only daughter behind. The plan was to relocate to South Africa as soon as Thomas had settled. In the first six months Thomas supported Fadzai with groceries, school fees and rentals. A shift began after Thomas had started seeing other women in South Africa. Thomas started sending money enough for rentals, school fees and a few groceries. The...