Skip to main content

The Missing Curriculum: Life Skills 101

 






Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga


As we emphasize the significance of learning are life skills included in our schools curriculum, a crucial question arises: where is the school of life? Does anyone know? A person who lacks proper judgment will often harbour misconceptions. Is it true that we must learn these skills on our own?


There are unique skills that academic learning doesn’t cover. Unlike academic knowledge, life skills are acquired through direct experience rather than implication.


Peculiar Skills

1. Judgment Skills: Central to many aspects of life, judgment is crucial when faced with multiple alternatives. Developing sound judgment is vital.


2. Decision-Making: Informed judgment precedes every decision. This skill is essential for navigating life’s challenges.


3. Productivity: Every life must be productive, regardless of circumstances. Discernment is necessary to choose the right path and maintain productivity.


4. Relatedness: This encompasses communication skills, addressing objections, and pursuing goals despite hostility.


5. Observation: Developing observant eyes is critical. Without this skill, one may fall prey to deception.


The school of life operates differently from traditional academia. There are no classrooms, and success isn’t measured by scores. Instead, outcomes demonstrate mastery. Experience serves as the best teacher, and each individual is their own student.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience: The Key to Navigating Life's Challenges

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga (FFF)   Life's no paradise – resources are scarce, competition's tough, and adversity's constant. But it's how we respond that defines us. Resilience is the ability to bounce back, to sweep away trouble and hold firm to gains. I once had a business in my 20s that did well in the short run, but when I sought support from a wealthy relative to expand, I was labelled lazy. I fought back, true to their word I became unpopular. Later, I realised people look at what you've achieved, not what you promise. I refocused, sought trusted support, and bounced back – refuting allegations of laziness. Each challenge's a battle; each win builds confidence. You don't start winning big battles, but small wins accumulate. Employers seek elasticity; vision falls on resilient people. As I was ridiculed and falsely accused, I gained favour with people in good time. Adversity may conquer, but bouncing back is resilience. Life's short. Elastic...

The Power of Family Influence

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga The African proverb "charity begins at home" takes on a deeper meaning when we consider the profound impact of family on our lives. As I reflect on my own experiences, I realize that the values, beliefs, and behaviors we learn from our families shape us in ways that are both visible and invisible.   As a former restaurant manager, I noticed that people's behavior in public spaces was often a reflection of their home environment. Some patrons would leave the toilet spotless, while others would leave it in disarray. The effort we put into maintaining hygiene in our kitchens is often mirrored in our public behavior. This observation led me to realize that our family's influence extends far beyond our childhood years.   Our parents' behavior, expectations, and values are imprinted on us from a young age. We mimic their actions, adopt their beliefs, and internalize their criticisms. As we grow older, we begin to make choic...

It’s Not The End Of The World

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga    This story is based on a true story and I have edited names so that someone is inspired out there. Resilience makes great changes in people's lives, don't commit Suicide     Fadzai sat on the edge of her bed, feeling empty and defeated. She had never felt so alone in her life. Thomas’s brief and dismissive response on the phone had left her reeling. She thought about her daughter, Rungano, who was now misbehaving at school, and how she was struggling to cope with the absence of her father.   Thomas had gone to South Africa for greener pastures leaving Fadzai with their only daughter behind. The plan was to relocate to South Africa as soon as Thomas had settled. In the first six months Thomas supported Fadzai with groceries, school fees and rentals. A shift began after Thomas had started seeing other women in South Africa. Thomas started sending money enough for rentals, school fees and a few groceries. The...