Skip to main content

Communal Richness: A Challenge of Africa


 



Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga 


True richness lies not in individual wealth, but in securing a community’s future, advancing its people, and empowering future generations. Flaunting mansions or gold means little if the legacy benefits no one.


Africa’s wealthiest individuals have a responsibility to secure the continent’s future. Where are the sustainable initiatives, skills, and knowledge-sharing programs? Could Strive Masiyiwa’s Econet have a greater impact by investing in a telecommunications academy, enabling Africa to develop its own technology?


Amassing wealth for personal gain can be tyrannical, especially when a select few thrive amidst widespread suffering. Land ownership is crucial, but it’s not enough without mechanisms to positively influence global communities. The Chinese excel through knowledge-sharing and innovative strategies, while corporations like Coca-Cola have foundations that benefit generations.


Africa needs recurring mechanisms that guarantee intergenerational prosperity. Each generation shouldn’t have to start from scratch. True richness lies in shared global prosperity, where communities support each other.



Unlike businesses in the UK that last for centuries, African products and initiatives often falter due to differing political ideologies and individualistic arrangements. This hinders progress, leading me to say that in Africa, we’re all in this together – there’s no true wealth without collective prosperity.


A personal perspective by Fred Farai Nyakudanga. Other views are welcome

Email fredfarai@gmail.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience: The Key to Navigating Life's Challenges

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga (FFF)   Life's no paradise – resources are scarce, competition's tough, and adversity's constant. But it's how we respond that defines us. Resilience is the ability to bounce back, to sweep away trouble and hold firm to gains. I once had a business in my 20s that did well in the short run, but when I sought support from a wealthy relative to expand, I was labelled lazy. I fought back, true to their word I became unpopular. Later, I realised people look at what you've achieved, not what you promise. I refocused, sought trusted support, and bounced back – refuting allegations of laziness. Each challenge's a battle; each win builds confidence. You don't start winning big battles, but small wins accumulate. Employers seek elasticity; vision falls on resilient people. As I was ridiculed and falsely accused, I gained favour with people in good time. Adversity may conquer, but bouncing back is resilience. Life's short. Elastic...

The Power of Family Influence

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga The African proverb "charity begins at home" takes on a deeper meaning when we consider the profound impact of family on our lives. As I reflect on my own experiences, I realize that the values, beliefs, and behaviors we learn from our families shape us in ways that are both visible and invisible.   As a former restaurant manager, I noticed that people's behavior in public spaces was often a reflection of their home environment. Some patrons would leave the toilet spotless, while others would leave it in disarray. The effort we put into maintaining hygiene in our kitchens is often mirrored in our public behavior. This observation led me to realize that our family's influence extends far beyond our childhood years.   Our parents' behavior, expectations, and values are imprinted on us from a young age. We mimic their actions, adopt their beliefs, and internalize their criticisms. As we grow older, we begin to make choic...

Guiltiness Makes You The Weaker

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga When you are guilty, you become weaker than the one you wronged. This is because guilt can lead to feelings of vulnerability, defensiveness, and anxiety, ultimately eroding your confidence and power in relationships. Avoid being on the wrong side of expectations. When you fail to meet expectations, whether intentionally or unintentionally, you can damage trust and credibility. This can lead to feelings of resentment and anger from others. Do not raise hopes that you will comply. Being transparent and honest about your intentions and capabilities is crucial. Avoid making promises or commitments that you may not be able to keep, as this can lead to disappointment and mistrust. It’s good to be open during deliberations. Open and honest communication is essential in any relationship or negotiation. Being transparent about your thoughts, feelings, and intentions can help build trust and foster constructive dialogue. Key principles to uphold: 1. Be firm...