Skip to main content

In loving memory of Mrs. Josephine Machuma (Nee Matongo)

 



Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga 


Mrs. Machuma played a pivotal role in shaping my Christian values and that of many during her time as a Sunday School teacher at St. Stephen United Methodist Church in the early 80s. Her catechism teachings strengthened my faith in the birth and death of Jesus Christ, and her picturesque illustrations of God’s omnipotence and omniscience remain vivid in my mind.


As a dedicated teacher with stints at Zengeza 5 and 8 Primary Schools, Mrs. Machuma was known for her blunt yet nurturing approach. She would candidly address shortcomings, and her passion for education was evident. Many students, including myself, benefited from her guidance, and I’m sure many share my sentiments about her calling to educate.


Together with her husband, Mr. Shepherd Machuma, the family embodied the good teachings of John Wesley. Their union, bound by vows of love and commitment, was a testament to the power of marriage. Even in separation, their love remains unwavering, a true reflection of their dedication to each other. The Machumas formed a solid, exemplary family in the United Methodist Church, and their children are a shining example of a stable family. All four of their children have identifiable careers, making their mark in and outside Zimbabwe.


The couple’s love for each other was evident to all, as they would often sit side by side at church and related functions. Mrs. Machuma’s commitment to family values and her deep respect for her husband were priceless. Despite her affluent background, she valued her holy matrimonial vows, demonstrating a true understanding of the importance of marriage.


Her legacy, built on Christianity and family values, continues to inspire. Her children eloquently spoke about her life in church before her burial, a testament to the impact she had. Mrs. Machuma lived a life of impartation, empowerment, and teaching. I believe it was a life well lived, and I offer my condolences to the family. Rest in peace, Josephine Machuma.






Comments

  1. Thank you Mr Nyakudanga for taking time to do this write-up. It’s much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience: The Key to Navigating Life's Challenges

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga (FFF)   Life's no paradise – resources are scarce, competition's tough, and adversity's constant. But it's how we respond that defines us. Resilience is the ability to bounce back, to sweep away trouble and hold firm to gains. I once had a business in my 20s that did well in the short run, but when I sought support from a wealthy relative to expand, I was labelled lazy. I fought back, true to their word I became unpopular. Later, I realised people look at what you've achieved, not what you promise. I refocused, sought trusted support, and bounced back – refuting allegations of laziness. Each challenge's a battle; each win builds confidence. You don't start winning big battles, but small wins accumulate. Employers seek elasticity; vision falls on resilient people. As I was ridiculed and falsely accused, I gained favour with people in good time. Adversity may conquer, but bouncing back is resilience. Life's short. Elastic...

The Power of Family Influence

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga The African proverb "charity begins at home" takes on a deeper meaning when we consider the profound impact of family on our lives. As I reflect on my own experiences, I realize that the values, beliefs, and behaviors we learn from our families shape us in ways that are both visible and invisible.   As a former restaurant manager, I noticed that people's behavior in public spaces was often a reflection of their home environment. Some patrons would leave the toilet spotless, while others would leave it in disarray. The effort we put into maintaining hygiene in our kitchens is often mirrored in our public behavior. This observation led me to realize that our family's influence extends far beyond our childhood years.   Our parents' behavior, expectations, and values are imprinted on us from a young age. We mimic their actions, adopt their beliefs, and internalize their criticisms. As we grow older, we begin to make choic...

Guiltiness Makes You The Weaker

  Written by Fred Farai Nyakudanga When you are guilty, you become weaker than the one you wronged. This is because guilt can lead to feelings of vulnerability, defensiveness, and anxiety, ultimately eroding your confidence and power in relationships. Avoid being on the wrong side of expectations. When you fail to meet expectations, whether intentionally or unintentionally, you can damage trust and credibility. This can lead to feelings of resentment and anger from others. Do not raise hopes that you will comply. Being transparent and honest about your intentions and capabilities is crucial. Avoid making promises or commitments that you may not be able to keep, as this can lead to disappointment and mistrust. It’s good to be open during deliberations. Open and honest communication is essential in any relationship or negotiation. Being transparent about your thoughts, feelings, and intentions can help build trust and foster constructive dialogue. Key principles to uphold: 1. Be firm...